span.fullpost {display:inline;}

Sunday, March 1, 2009

Nobel.com for free?

I've always considered keywordcom.com domains as typos of keyword.com's, maybe making a few bucks off of misguided traffic. Well I guess if you turn your keywordcom.com into a bonafide business, you might be able to convince the owners of keyword.com to just give you the name...for free.

From "How to buy domain names like a pro":

Nobel.com was a dead page. I found the owner, a large insurance company, convinced them that they should give us the name (we had Nobelcom.com) and, surprisingly, they did. In contacting the company, I figured a CEO or high-level person will hold me over the barrel for money and a low level person will not have the authority, so I went to a VP level in the IT area. My company was NobelCom.com, and I pleaded on a human level that they would be helping a young entrepreneurial company. It worked. For the VP to do the paperwork to sell the domain was harder than just giving it to us. Part luck, part skill. That domain is probably worth north of $50,000.
I'm assuming this was back in the day when Nobel.com wasn't worth $50,000 (which, by the way, is a surprisingly low value estimate for a guy who own names like PhoneTag.com and Grid.com). I recommend sticking with some of his other recommendations before you start shelling out registration fees, and possibly infringing on some trademarks.

No comments:

Post a Comment